Great day so far..........

Little bit of knitting on my latest 'Where's Wally' sock early this morning after Surfer Boy left for work at 6.30am! School is all but finished for Surfer Boy this year so he decided to do some work experience in the two weeks after his final exams, he's loving hard days working as a labourer for two bricklayers who are building a stone fireplace and chimney in an interesting little bush shack. Hopefully this hard work will encourage him to finsish his last two years at high school before he decides what he wants to do when he leaves school.

Enjoyed reading about this talented artist on the last page of the Fall issue of Interweave Crochet. Emily Barletta creates all things biological in crochet. As Dear Husband is a Hospital Scientist in the local hospital pathology laboratory and I was once a Registered Nurse the subject was appealing. Darling Daughter also showed some interest as she recently conducted an experiement for a science project growing all kinds of household bugs on agar plates. This colourful specimen below is from a swabbing inside her shoe...........gross!


It's sad to admit I'm now a CROC convert, I've resisted the trend towards the very big ugly plastic shoes for a number of years but yesterday after days on end of wet shoes when walking two dogs I went and investigated the CROC shop. I was pleasantly surprised to see Mary Jane's have been added to the range and cater for those of us with narrow feet. They really are comfy shoes that work well in the water and on the beach and probably good for my kayaking trips too. Very easy to keep clean, just a hose off and they dry real quick.



A lovely day for a walk along the beach, a play at the river mouth and then back home along the river. The dogs love their off leash time and Ruby races back to me for a quick pat every few minutes or plops down on top of me if I'm seated!

Once home I decided to get our bore water pump running and do a bit of watering around our very dry garden, so onto my belly under the house to prime the pump, success and my retro orange metal $1 Pope Rainwave sprinkler thrifted from the local tip shop is working a treat. Back inside for a bite to eat then back out to move the sprinkler.................stepped out the back door onto the wooden landing and saw a tail..............'just our friendly Blue Tongue lizard' I thought..................wrong............. a 1 metre long black snake!!!!!!! Holy crap, not what I expected to find in my backyard. Off it slithered behind our hot water cylinder, so I stepped back inside to grab my camera then gingerly stepped back out the door and couldn't see the snake anywhere. I think that is worse than being able to see it.............now where is it? Still don't know. Moved the sprinkler and have decided an afternoon sewing will be better than doing a bit of work in the vege garden this afternoon.

Next I heard our old dog yelp, then Ruby was yipping aswell, raced to the door to see the old dog looking distressed, hyperventilating and when he got up he was limping. Oh no, had the serpent sunk it's deadly fangs into Casper? Investigating the paw I discovered he had a bee sting in one footpad. Easy fixed and now all is well.................other than not knowing where the snake is!

7 comments:

Leonie said...

I love my Mary Jane Crocs, there is nothing better to walk along the beach in or do the dishes in. We have polished floors and who cares if you drop water on them!! They are so comfy, I'm so glad you have found them, I hope they work out for you!

Chrissy said...

Is it strange to say I quite like the colours on the agar dish??? Maybe I'm just odd. I have been tempted by the Crocs myself, particularly Prima ones in Ruby. They remind me of ballet slippers but cheerfuller. (And yes I know that isn't a word but I like it). Maybe I'll get some next summer. I was also looking at your lovely outdoors pics and wishing I lived where you do and then you told me about the snake. This reminded me why I live in a nice safe and boring country, I am a big scaredy cat.

PS Love the socks.

Anonymous said...

Oh the part about the snake is very scary. The dogs seem to be having a great time at the beach!!! Nice socks, love the stripes!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad Casper is okay. Do you know the snake is a venomous one? We get a lot of snakes in our yard, but in fifteen years only one has been venomous (and he was dead --- Steve backed over unknowingly backed over him when he was getting out of the garage).

Love the picture of Ruby and Casper on the beach. Ruby will be towering over him soon.

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you post about the artist Emily Barletta. I have been following her career for years. She is definitely creating an international name for herself. Look for BIG things from her in the future.

Rachel said...

So many great things in this post - the sock, the crochet, the petri dish! I hope the snake leaves you alone : )

Pip said...

I too, like the colours in the petri dish, and the randomness of the growths. I'm still to see a live snake yet, plenty of blue-tongues, but no snakes.
take care
Pip