Lord Howe Island circa 1950







When I went to visit an old friend this week, I showed her my great new apron and told her all about my friend who is so unfortunate to be stuck on an island out in the middle of the ocean with nothing better to do than sew all day, she said her husband well before she met him used to holiday on this very same island way back in the 1950's. She sent me home with a leather covered album full of great old black and white photographs that document his happy times on Lord Howe Island. An island paradise for city workers who needed to relax and unwind with simple pleasures that this little island had to offer. These photos are just a sample of the album and there is one great photo of the Australian cricket team who were over there at the same time, a magazine article that set out to promote this paradise to Sydneysiders and also a newspaper snippet about the first woman to climb one of the island peaks. My island friend may well know some of the faces in the album, many of the views and the island museum may even be interested. Dear husband and I have talked about visiting this island one day soon and now we are keener than ever.

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

That island looks amazing. A total tropical paradise.

Mandi said...

those photos are divine if they don't tempt people then nothing will....I think everyone who visits there should dress in vintage just like in the photos...happy holidays when you take it...

Rachel said...

I love the old fashioned bathing suits!

Judy said...

I visited Lord Howe Island twice in the 1960s when I was a little girl. I'd love to go back and stay at Pine Trees again