Hazelnut and chocolate biscotti


The little cafe down the road from where I work makes the best biscotti so this weekend I set about learning how to bake biscotti. I researched biscotti and from various recipes made up this one to share with you. It tastes good! Not quite the same as the cafe but I will keep tinkering with the recipe to perfect the best biscotti ever.

Ingredients
1 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of unsalted butter, chopped roughly
2 eggs
2 cups of plain (all purpose) flour
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 cup of oven roasted hazelnuts, chopped
1/2 cup of choc chips

Method
- Preheat oven 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time, beat well.
- Add all flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt, combine well.
- Stir in chocolate and nuts.
- Roll dough on floured board into a log 30cm (12 inches) long by 10cm (4 inches) wide.
- Place on papered baking tray, flatten slightly and bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool until you can handle it then slice the log into 1cm (1/2 inch) slices.
- Place slices on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, turn slices and bake for further 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.

I think next time I will add some vanilla extract, use white caster sugar, leave the cocoa out and use chopped chunks of dark chocolate. Let me know what you think and any alterations I can make with the recipe.

No comments: