Hospital visits are good sometimes

Last week I had two appointments at the local hospital, nothing scary just things I had been meaning to get around to for some time. 

I discovered recently that you don't have to be 50 years old to have a free screening mammogram done.  I just phoned up BreastScreen NSW and made an appointment, no doctors referral either.  I had to wait a couple of weeks but it was as easy as that.  The target range is 50 - 69 year old women but they do offer mammogram to women either side of this age range with no questions asked.  So if you are concerned and live in Australia then ring 13 20 50 and you can book in to have a mammogram done at one of the permanent BreastScreen centres but apparently not at the mobile vans.


 
 
1 in 9 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime.
 
A friend and neighbour was taken by breast cancer when she was a young mum of 45 and I still think about her often.  We've watched her two children grow up into adults over the last 6 years, she has missed out on so much.  Please look after your health do your monthly breast checks but more importantly have a mammogram every two years, early detection is my best advice.
 
The next appointment was something I have wanted to get back into since moving to Griffith.  Australian Red Cross Blood Service has a permanent blood donor centre within the hospital and I headed on in to make a whole blood donation.  It was a breeze, so quick and the staff were fabulously friendly and professional.  I began donating blood when I was school student in New Zealand and continued as a young adult but ceased when living down the coast because we didn't have a permanent or visiting service available.  I'm so happy to be a donor once again. 
 
Currently there are slightly more than half a million voluntary unpaid donors in Australia.  Every week the Australia Red Cross needs to collect 27,000 blood donations.  Each donation can help up to three patients.
 
Currently only 1in 30 people give blood, but 1in 3 people will need blood in their lifetime.

 
Call 13 95 96 to find your local centre and organise your donation.
 
It's blood donor week this week too!

 

1 comment:

Susan said...

Two excellent ideas! Taking care of yourself and helping others, helps ourselves too. X