A new technique for me..........





.........maybe I'm the last knitter on Earth to have used this Tubular Cast On technique but I love it so much I have to do show'n'tell. Recently I received my Knitting Daily newsletter and it mentioned a video of how to work this cast on demonstrated by Eunny Jang who is the editor of Interweave Knits magazine and I've always admired her work. So if it's good enough for Eunny then I can certainly get to work and learn something new. The video shows you how to work this cast on, stitch by stitch on a flat piece of knitting but she mentions it makes a nice stretchy cast on good for socks. I tried it and it worked so well I think I'll be working this type of cast on for all my socks, I love the smooth professional edge it gives and it really is a nice full stretch cast on so should be very good for circulation. I have seen this technique in books but had never bothered to try it as I just didn't make the time or effort but once I saw it on the video it seemed so easy, just cast on half your required stitches with waste yarn, knit a few rows (purl if working in the round) then pick up the stitches with your main yarn and another in between the stitches and very quickly you have a nice rolled edge and all the stitches you need to work your piece once you remove the waste yarn. Try it, you won't be sorry.

1 comment:

Nan said...

You are not the last person to try it! I still have yet to do it. I tried once by following instructions in a book, but gave up. I guess with your nudge, it's time I give it a go again. Merry Christmas to you and your's.