My Kingston slice




It's gloomy and cold so I decided to cook this afternoon.  I'm a cupboard cook, I check what I've got in my cupboard and come up with a recipe to suit those ingredients.  I've made a variation of my Ginger slice.  I'm calling it my Kingston slice because it really tastes like an Arnott's Kingston biscuit, coconut and chocolate, a good combination.

Kingston Slice
3 weetbix (crush with your hands if you don't have a mixer or food processor)
1 cup of plain flour
1/2 cup castor sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup of melted, unsalted butter

Place dry ingredients in mixer then add melted butter and mix till it starts to bind together, if it's a bit dry add a couple of teaspoons of water.  Press into a lined slice tin 20 x 28cm with a fork.

Sprinkle half a packet of milk chocolate Nestle Choc Bits over the slice, spread evenly. 

Topping
1 cup dessicated coconut
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 egg

Mix these three ingredients gently with a fork until combined and it looks light and clumpy.  Spread very gently over slice with tip of fork.

Bake at 180 degrees (lower if fan-forced) for 25-30 minutes. Cool in tin.  Lift slice out with baking paper onto chopping board and cut into 18 rectangles with a big kitchen knife.




No comments: