Starting to stress a tiny bit,............


.............this Friday night is my turn to host our Gourmet Girls monthly dinner party! I was OK a couple of days ago, I hadn't really given it much thought, but since then things have been turning against me and I've had a couple of wakeful periods over the last couple of nights. We renovated our kitchen about 5 years ago and we installed our fist dishwasher and a giant new refrigerator, both made by Fisher & Paykel and two weeks ago the fridge started to go beep in the night, a fault warning that requires someone to leap out of bed and manually shut if off only for it to recur later in the night!!! Next while eating dinner on the veranda one night last week our dishwasher ceased to operate...............apparently you need a surge protector on these, we would have protected it if the manual had told us to!! Anyway after much ringing around I am sitting here waiting for the appliance repair guy to arrive for $85 and then he will be $25/15min once he gets to work..............I don't really care so long as he fixes the dishwasher which is jammed closed and the fridge that has rotting and defrosting food in it!

No opportunity for this hostess to do any food prep on her days off and I'm working for the next 3 days and won't arrive home until an hour before the dinner..................I'm not stressing too much just yet!

Anyway I headed into town today to do some banking, bill paying, Christmas shopping and general bits and pieces. I decided I just don't have enough of anything to make our table look great on Friday.............I'm not worrying about the food yet, so long as the table looks great............first impressions are important, right! We don't have any great home wares stores around this little coastal area so I decided to check out the thrift stores and the thrift gods were with me today. I found 6 matching Bohemia made in Czechoslovakia wine glasses, and the best of all some 1953 Noritake two handles soup bowls and under plates which I can utilise for dessert on Friday. I love the pale dove grey band and everyone knows I'm a pink girl so pink roses are just perfect in my eyes. Also picked up another 6 Japanese side plates which will co-ordinate well with the Noritake and my white dinner set. Picked up some hot pink serviettes and a new white tablecloth at Hellmart so the table is just about sorted.

Now my motto for the week is one of my sisters favourites.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it will be a lovely evening and you will be the perfect hostess.

Have a great time!

I'll be waiting on the repairman on Wednesday. Apparently I don't know my own strength. I went to close the sliding door and pulled the frame right off the glass!

2paw said...

I hope everything works out well, but those finds- the op shop gods were smiling on you!!

heather said...

Can't wait to see a photo of the table all
looking gorgeous.....I'm with you, a beautiful looking table certainly sets the scene for a great night!!

Levin said...

what fabulous finds!
I hope by now everything is fixed and that you can start planning food etc...
I don't know how you managed to keep so calm - I'm pretty sure if I was in that situation David and the kids would have moved out by now ;-)
goodluck - with good friends around, you don't really need much more!
l
x